As Software Engineers, how can we do our part to help with Climate Change? By writing more energy efficient software. There’s a couple of projects/organizations/groups pushing this concept.
Green Software Foundation
- Software Carbon Intensity (SCI) Specification - https://github.com/Green-Software-Foundation/software_carbon_intensity
- Patterns Catalog: https://patterns.greensoftware.foundation/catalog/
- Awesome Green Software: https://github.com/Green-Software-Foundation/awesome-green-software
- KDE Eco - https://eco.kde.org/
- FOSS Energy Efficiency Project (FEEP) - https://invent.kde.org/teams/eco/feep
- Blauer Engel For FOSS (BE4FOSS) - “In 2020 the Umweltbundesamt (‘German Environment Agency’) released the award criteria for obtaining eco-certification with the Blauer Engel label for desktop software. Categories for certification include energy efficiency, extending the potential operating life of hardware, and user autonomy … all of which fit seamlessly with free and open source software.”